Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snowmageddon on Sabbath





The snow storm blizzard of  January 23, 2016 began with the first teeny tiny snowflakes around 8:30 pm January 22, as I walked out of Shul (synagogue). I actually saw the tiny flakes as I looked up into a bright light on the wall of the synagogue. By 9:30 pm, snow was coming down lightly and you can see it by looking into a city lampost. Overnight, it picked up the pace and by 9 am, there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. In the afternoon, our 4 year old son had a blast throwing himself into the snow mounds that were as high as him. Looking outside our window it was like looking at the clouds as the snow, carried by 30 -40 mph winds, blew right by our building.  At the synagogue my son threw himself into the heaps of snow,that by 5pm was about 18 inches. Now it is almost 7 pm and it is still coming down. I saw on the weather channel that governor Cuomo made a travel ban, barring cars on the road since 2:30 pm but  I am still seeing cars, although just a few, driving along snowy but plowed, Ocean Parkway. That reminds me, in the morning, I saw a convoy of 7 seven plows, including a mixture of garbage trucks and salt spreaders. I did not see this in years. Enjoy the snow through the window from the warmth of your room. Actually by our air conditioners, snow was piling up on the window sill even inside the apartment. The snow on the hoods of cars are now sloping right into the ground. New York is transforming into the artic of antartica.  According to the National Weather Service, up 30 inches can fall in New York City by 7 AM, which will break the record of 26.9 back in 2006. Take care  for now, going back to watch the snow....

      




No comments:

Post a Comment