Wednesday, March 30, 2016

immigrants and criminal justice in USA


Image result for statue of liberty
welcome only immigrants, not criminal imigrants 

A story appeared in the NY Daily news that chronicled the life of several immigrants who got caught up in the criminal justice system by committing crimes. See story here....http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/immigrants-prison-article-1.2577579

It is sort of Ironic that the current President of the United States, Barak Obama, who himself is a son of a foreigner, has made it a top priority to deport criminal immigrants and has deported the most immigrants, up by 80%, without differentiating between turnstile jumpers and murderers. So basically, if you are a legal immigrant in this country and committed a crime decades ago and lived a good and honest life since then, you are a target of deportation.

I guess the only real way of turning this around is to put pressure from the grass roots, from the local population to calling on Congress to change the law and to write to the White House and voice concern to change the policy.

I spent time in jail for immigration fraud as I was an immigration lawyer. Being that I am also a US Citizen, I was not deportable and of course I was remorseful in breaking the law. However, I came across many immigrants in jail who were deportable.

When I was at MCC, I met several criminals who returned to MCC, NY before being sent back to their home country.

I feel that if someone is truly remorseful, then even a criminal immigrant should get a second chance. Remember, if we look back at our founding fathers, they all left England to come for a better life and if the United Kingdom would have won the war in 1776, they would have been all tried as criminals.
So lets remember our humble roots and help our fellow man.

When I was in prison, all of the immigrant prisoners did the manual labor work, from working in the kitchen to working on the grounds, it did not matter if you were born here or abroad, everybody had to work.

To read more of  my prison story, go here and thanks for stopping by.... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011GTWLOG
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment