Thursday, June 2, 2016

Zarrab requests 50 million dollar bond to stay out of jail

Reza Zarrab, courtesy NY Times
   
According to the NY Times,Zarrab, a gold trader from Turkey accused of crimes against the United States has requested through his lawyer , Benjamin Brafman to put up 50 million dollar bond pending his trial. See article in NY Times..http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/nyregion/rich-defendants-request-to-judges-lock-me-up-in-a-gilded-cage.html?_r=0

Is that fair? Is he a flight risk? The government showed in my bail hearing a stack of cases where defendants simply fled.  Do you treat the rich different than the poor? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? That did not apply to me and does not apply to anyone, in my opinion.

Zarrab is in waterbug mice infested MCC Detention in downtown Manhattan  



I can relate to this case as I was extradited from Canada and my bail was set at 1.5 million.
I had almost no cash left but the government considered a big enough criminal. In any event, my family came up with the bond. However, when I took a guilty  plea, the Judge remanded me so in the end of the day, I never got bail. Better for me since I did straight time and did not lose a day that I was supposed to sit anyway. Also, my lawyer never told me that if I take a plea, my bail would be revoked.

To read my story, go here...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011GTWLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment